OK. This may seem weird, but recently I ordered a healthy lunch that consisted of a large bowl, featuring a beautifully cut hard boiled egg. It sat on top of some noodles and had a piece of seaweed across the top. I just loved the colors, textures, and challenge of using the photo as a reference in an attempt to make this piece actually look like a real hard boiled egg.
This is what I’m starting with.
After using a mixture of colors to do the first wash, I sprinkled a LOT of water over the wet wash in order to create texture and interesting patterns. Just let the water do its thing.
I have been staring at the photo of the hard boiled egg, trying to figure out exactly what colors are incorporated. That is such a fun part of painting for me. No matter how pure something may look, there are many values of colors that are embedded to make up that object.
In church, I love looking at the shirt someone in front of me is wearing and thinking about how even though it is made from one color, the sun and shadows cause that one color to explode into so many shades from the lightest light to the darkest dark value of that one color.
Looking at my reference photo, I cannot believe how many colors are in a hard boiled egg! They contain reflections, shadows, light, transparency, and depths. Such fun!! One thing I’ve learned is not to be afraid of drastic colors and values. I think those are what make paintings interesting and realistic. Even while I’m painting them, I’m telling myself, “NO! That’s too dark! That looks awful!” I am very critical of my work. And I stare at it for long stretches, trying to see the whole picture. This is a rather large piece, and painting a hard boiled egg this size is a bit unsettling as well.
I’ve started adding bacon, lettuce, and celery. This will be in a bowl, with broth, so I will need to make it look authentic.
I have been asked how I create my Cookie Cutter paintings, so thought I would include the process here:
Once I find a good combination of cookie cutter and image, I make a paper cutout of the cookie cutter, often enlarging it a bit, out of heavy construction paper. I put a bit of tape on the back of the paper and stick it to my watercolor paper. Then, I go around the construction paper with masking fluid (1). Once the masking fluid is dry, I sketch the image inside the cookie cutter shape. With the masking fluid still on I start to paint, usually putting down a light wash so I will know where the outline of the cookie cutter is (2). Once I know I’ll be able to see where the outline is, I remove the masking fluid and them complete the painting (3).